Posts tagged illustration
Posts tagged illustration
Elevator Action Tribute! A part of the Nintendo tribute book that I am putting together.
This week’s post is coming a little bit early and I am headed out of town for the next week or so.
I didn’t want to leave you guys without a post for the week. So this week I decided to take a bit of a break from the Nintendo book and try something different. I don’t normally do superheroes (although I love them)..but since everyone else does it I like to be different. However, in the spirit of doing different things, I decided to try and paint over someone else’s lines, which turned out to be pretty awesome.
I have been following this guy and Deviant art for a while (http://weaponx5203.deviantart.com/).
One day I asked him if I could pick something from his gallery and paint over the work.
He said “sure” and below is what I got. If you are interested in reading the post you can see the entire process here.
In the end, it’s not the worst, but in practicing I learned a few tricks a long the way to make the painting process easier. If I go over my original sketches and create a simple line drawing, that will eliminate having to work so hard when starting the color phase. Also, anatomy anatomy anatomy and values. Very hard to master, but I will be psyched when I get it. So that’s it for this one, next up is Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon part II).
As I learn how to paint things and improve, I am going to be tempted to go back and rework stuff that I have already done. A friend of mine is starting a blog/site and asked me to do a piece for him, so I said “of course”. When I went back and looked at what I did however, I was not happy with it at all. So, of course I re-did it. I am super happy with it, but I am sure that I will learn more as time goes on.
Happy Sunday everyone! The next piece that I was going to post was going to be a Double Dragon piece. (that’s still coming…but…)
As a side project I decided to also re-work something that I had already done a while back. Sometimes I feel the need to go back and re-work that I had done in the past in hopes of making it better. Since I was not happy with the earlier version of this, I decided to re-do it. Sonic the Hedgehog folks!
A little surprise this week as I did an extra mini piece. You can’t have a Nintendo tribute without Mario. Even though Mario has been done over a million times I haven’t really done Mario before, and so I figured “why not”. Here is the final!
The next entry in my Nintendo tribute series is “Pro Wrestling”. This is another game that I played for hours and hours on end. It was and is still one of my favorites to this day (“A winner is you!”).
Below is the step by step to the final piece.
1. I wanted to do something that included all of the wrestlers naturally, so I did a couple of different sketches, of all the wrestlers in different poses, and finally settled on the one below. It basically has all of the wrestlers in the front, and Great Puma (the Champion of the VWL—Video Wrestling League) in the back overshadowing the rest of the wrestlers. (below)
2. Then I added a base black and white color and started to block in the shadows (below)
3. I added a background color to give the painting an overall sense of color (purple seemed to work well in the color scheme of the rest of the wrestlers in the group shot) (below)
4. Then I started to add the flat colors over all of the wrestlers (I used the original game instruction manual as a basis for the colors (below)
5. I next started to do the paintover layer, and went over all of the details and the edges. I had a little trouble with Starman’s arms as they were folded over each other. So I had to spend a little time going over that some more. Also, now that I am looking at it Figher Hayabusa’s shoulder (lower left next to The Amazon) looks a little humpy and weird. As always the biggest issue that I had was anatomy, although I felt that with this piece I am getting a little better. The key as always is practice (below)
6. Finally I added final shadows, and lighting, and used the text from the actual Pro-Wrestling box and voila! Done…it’s going in the book.
Next up, Bubble Bobble!!!!!
Finished my Nintendo Trojan piece…gonna post the final piece and the process tomorrow…
More art coming soon…I am just finishing up a piece that is taking me a while to get through. I’m trying to post more awesomeness and less crappyness…